This is an approved 4-year apprenticeship as well with The Iowa Association of Municipal Utilities and DOL.
Constructs, maintains, operates and repairs the overhead and underground electrical distribution system following all established safety rules and practices. Required to be on-call on a rotating basis.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Builds and maintains overhead and underground electric distribution system using basket trucks, digger trucks and trenchers.
- Digs pole holes and sets, removes, and repairs poles.
- Performs variety of maintenance tasks, including maintaining aerial baskets and booms by cleaning and greasing, inspecting for cracks, and checking safety belts and operational controls.
- Installs cross arms according to established framing specifications.
- Prepares trenches, lays cable in trench, and back fills trench.
- Installs and maintains street lighting using basket trucks and digger trucks.
- Installs and maintains light circuits, lamps, photo eyes, and fusing.
- Trims trees using basket truck, chain saws and chipper.
- Participates in regular safety meetings. Anticipates and discusses possible hazards.
- Follows all established safety rules and practices in performing duties.
- Attends annual training in first aid, CPR, bucket rescue and pole top rescue.
- Maintains safety equipment and protective clothing.
- Maintains accurate records detailing transformer locations, sizes, and serial numbers.
- Updates electrical system map.
- Locates buried cables using locating equipment.
- Performs accuracy tests on residential electric meters.
- Reads meters on a monthly basis.
- All other duties as assigned which may require cross training and assisting other departments.
Required Personal Protective Equipment:
Safety Glasses, Hearing Protection, Hard Hat, Safety Shoes, Gloves, Coveralls, Safety Vest, Chemical Goggles, Disposable Respirator, Seat Belt, Dust Mask
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities the individual must possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Knowledge of distribution systems and equipment and required maintenance and repairs.
- Knowledge of basic principles of electricity, electric symbols and wiring diagrams.
- Knowledge of safety rules and practices followed when working with electricity.
- Ability to read blueprints.
- Knowledge of and ability to locate information in technical documents, such as the National Electric Safety Code (NESC).
- Knowledge of emergency response measures, including CPR.
- Ability to safely operate all equipment used in the distribution of electricity, including digger derrick truck, aerial truck and basket, pick-up truck, dump truck, chipper, trailers, skid loader, air compressors, back-hoe, trenchers and boring tools, safety equipment and protective devices, testing equipment including meters and locators, crimping tools, tools used in working with live wires, hydraulic tools, and other power tools.
- Knowledge of procedures and equipment used to take readings on electric circuits and to locate underground wires and cables, including volt meter, amp meter chart recorder, ohm meter, ground rod tester, cable locator, and fault locator.
- Ability to operate mobile radio and telephone.
- Ability to climb and work off of poles with lineman pole hooks.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, the Council, and the public.
- Willingness and ability to attend relevant training, in some cases requiring travel.
Education, Training and Experience
High School diploma
- Lineman School
Required Licenses, Registrations and Certifications:
- Valid Driver’s License, CDL with air brakes
- Journeyman certification
- Pre-employment physical and drug test
- Pre-employment functionality test
- Random drug/alcohol testing
PAY AND BENEFITS
- Hours of work. 6:30 am – 3pm. Mon-Friday
- Pay $20.99/hr at-hire $.40/hr additional with certification
- Medical & Dental
- Sick time
- Casual time
- Overtime and or Comp time
- On-Call Pay
- 9 paid holidays
- Union position (AFSCME)
Application forms are available at:
Bloomfield City Hall
111 W Franklin St
or, you can download one here.
Questions about the position please contact the Director of Public Works:
641-664-9644 – email@example.com
The City of Bloomfield is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages employees and prospective employees to discuss needed accommodations with the appropriate City representatives.