Chapter 123 – House Movers


A “house mover” means any person who undertakes to move a building or similar structure upon, over or across public streets or property when the building or structure is of such size that it requires the use of skids, jacks, dollies or any other specialized moving equipment.


It is unlawful for any person to engage in the activity of house mover as herein defined without a valid permit from the City for each house, building or similar structure to be moved. Buildings of less than one hundred (100) square feet are exempt from the provisions of this chapter.


Application for a house mover’s permit shall be made in writing to the Clerk. The application shall include:

  1. Name and Address. The applicant’s full name and address and if a corporation the names and addresses of its principal officers.
  2. Building Location. An accurate description of the present location and future site of the building or similar structure to be moved.
  3. Routing Plan. A routing plan approved by the Public Works Director, street superintendent, and public utility officials. The route approved shall be the shortest route compatible with the greatest public convenience and safety.


The applicant shall post with the Clerk a penal bond in the minimum sum of five thousand dollars ($5,000.00) issued by a surety company authorized to issue such bonds in the State. The bond shall guarantee the permittee’s payment for any damage done to the City or to public property, and payment of all costs incurred by the City in the course of moving the building or structure.


Each applicant shall also file a certificate of insurance indicating that the applicant is carrying public liability insurance in effect for the duration of the permit covering the applicant and all agents and employees for the following minimum amounts:

  1. Bodily Injury – $50,000 per person; $100,000 per accident.
  2. Property Damage – $50,000 per accident.

123.06 PERMIT FEE.

A permit fee of one hundred dollars ($100.00) shall be payable at the time of filing the application with the Clerk. A separate permit shall be required for each house, building or similar structure to be moved.


Upon approval of the application, filing of bond and insurance certificate, and payment of the required fee, the Clerk shall issue a permit.


At all times when a building or similar structure is in motion upon any street, alley, sidewalk or public property, the permittee shall maintain flagmen at the closest intersections or other possible channels of traffic to the sides, behind and ahead of the building or structure. At all times when the building or structure is at rest upon any street, alley, sidewalk or public property the permittee shall maintain adequate warning signs or lights at the intersections or channels of traffic to the sides, behind and ahead of the building or structure.

123.09 TIME LIMIT.

No house mover shall permit or allow a building or similar structure to remain upon any street or other public way for a period of more than twelve (12) hours without having first secured the written approval of the City.


In the event any building or similar structure is found to be in violation of Section 123.09 the City is authorized to remove such building or structure and assess the costs thereof against the permit holder and the surety on the permit holder’s bond.


It is unlawful to move any house or building of any kind over any pavement, unless the wheels or rollers upon which the house or building is moved are at least one (1) inch in width for each one thousand (1,000) pounds of weight of such building. If there is any question as to the weight of a house or building, the estimate of the City as to such weight shall be final.


The holder of any permit to move a building shall see that all telephone, cable television and electric wires and poles are removed when necessary and replaced in good order, and shall be liable for the costs of the same.