Every driver of a motor vehicle on a street shall drive the same at a careful and prudent speed not greater than nor less than is reasonable and proper, having due regard to the traffic, surface and width of the street and of any other conditions then existing, and no person shall drive a vehicle on any street at a speed greater than will permit said driver to bring it to a stop within the assured clear distance ahead, such driver having the right to assume, however, that all persons using said street will observe the law.
(Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.285)
63.02 STATE CODE SPEED LIMITS.
The following speed limits are established in Section 321.285 of the Code of Iowa and any speed in excess thereof is unlawful unless specifically designated otherwise in this chapter as a special speed zone.
- Business District – twenty (20) miles per hour.
- Residence or School District – twenty-five (25) miles per hour.
- Suburban District – forty-five (45) miles per hour.
63.03 CEMETERIES AND PARKING LOTS.
A speed in excess of fifteen (15) miles per hour in any cemetery or parking lot, unless specifically designated otherwise in this chapter, is unlawful.
(Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.236)
63.04 SPECIAL SPEED RESTRICTIONS.
In accordance with requirements of the Iowa State Department of Transportation, or whenever the Council shall determine upon the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation that any speed limit listed in Section 63.02 is greater or less than is reasonable or safe under the conditions found to exist at any intersection or other place or upon any part of the City street system, the Council shall determine and adopt by ordinance such higher or lower speed limit as it deems reasonable and safe at such location. The following special speed zones have been established:
(Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.290)
- Special 5 MPH Speed Zones. A speed in excess of five (5) miles per hour is unlawful on any of the following designated streets or parts thereof.
- On Brown Street from Franklin Street to Locust Street.
- Special 25 MPH Speed Zones. A speed in excess of twenty-five miles per hour is unlawful on any of the following designated streets or parts thereof.
- On Washington Street from Locust Street to Chestnut Street.
- On Jefferson Street from Columbia Street to Railroad Street.
- Special 50 MPH Speed Zones. A speed in excess of fifty (50) miles per hour is unlawful on any of the following designated streets or parts thereof.
- On Iowa Highway No. 2 from the east corporate limits to West Street;
- On U.S. Highway No. 63 from the north corporate limits to the south corporate limits.
63.05 MINIMUM SPEED.
A person shall not drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, or in compliance with law.
(Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.294)